Friday, December 17, 2010

What A Wonderful World


I am still basking in the new joy and excitement of another granddaughter (Javey Elizabeth Baird) born earlier this week. Have you ever heard the song "What a Wonderful World"? I love that song more and more the older I get. Louis Armstrong's raspy voice is beautiful when he sings it.

I know, I know ... it's very clear that the world is flawed. We earthlings have problems on the horizon everywhere.

I used to watch TV but for the most part ... I quit doing that. I guess I got tired of being told in every commercial and TV show that I wasn't good enough to own this car, that house, this boat, these vacations, this body, that portfolio, this lifestyle or that career. Crime is rampant and it is advertised moments after it happens in gruesome detail. It seems like bad news is broadcast wider than anything good. Any given day you can encounter stories telling us that we are heading to disaster with the O-Zone layer, famine, poverty, the destruction of human life and on and on and on.

So I shut it off.

It's not hard to see a very gray world. I just gotta stop! You may think I have put my head in the sand when I say this ... but this old boy can't deal with that picture anymore. I am not invincible ... as I once believed. I am older. I looked at my skin up close with a high power microscope and wow does that look scarey. I really am living under a curse. Nobody gets outta here alive!

This is why I photograph anything beautiful. I want people to see the remaining beauty in this world that is everywhere ... and it is screaming for our attention. When I take these pictures I feel incredibly blessed. I can also worship the creator God who breathed these things into being. I see God when I look at Javey's perfect little hands.

I celebrate the majesty of His creation. I am humbled by His willingness to provide a way for me to find Him personally. I am a very flawed man. Just ask anyone I work with or live with ... but in Christ alone I have been given great hope for eternity. Do you know Him?

One day, Jesus will repair this earth and it will be even better. Yes! Better! Can you imagine what it looked like thousands of years ago? One day I will have hands that look like Javey's again. Everything will be restored again. What a wonderful world. What a wonderful God! What a wonderful Savior IS JESUS my LORD!

Rejoice and be glad!
NikonSniper Steve

29 comments:

Thistlebrooms said...

Thank You for putting in writing what we ALL (maybe) feel but don't have the chosen words as you...
You wrote it Beautifully from the Heart...

My Best
~Marilyn

~j said...

amen!

Anonymous said...

Amen. :-)

Your love, reverence, hope and faith come across with your photos.

Nel said...

Amen! And it shows in your pictures, your tapestries!

until next time... nel

DUTA said...

I believe that God, the Creator is very angry at us. We have violated his Creation by pollution, migration, wars.

He's going to restore it, but I'm afraid the old world will have to go first either through nuclear disasters or through Nature disasters such as earthquaques, floods, tzunamis, etc.. Hope I'm wrong.

Bruce Caspersonn said...

Very well said, Mr.Nikon, I might have to re-access you as a person. If I lived in USA I wouldn't watch TV either. Our Oz TV is not wonderful but sometimes it's watchable, in the US it NEVER is.
Bruce.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

You are a gifted writer as well as photographer. I totally agree with you. I chose the word 'beauty' for my word of the year last year and I am still striving to see the beauty in my world...and my life. Thank you for adding beauty to our lives. KUDOS to YOU!

Kat said...

Amen to that! Beautiful post. That's why I try to post only beautiful photographs, uplifting stories and the occasional it's so ridiculous it's sublime rant. Have a wonderful day! Kathy

@eloh said...

Amen.

Rachel Cotterill said...

I don't have a TV.... I would much rather spend my spare moments looking at blogs including your stunning photos.

Gallow said...

Thank you for sharing. I'm amazed by creation, and find it an incredible miracle.

Mike Simmons said...

Amen Steve - well said. I think this world has much beauty in it even considering it has a curse on it. But what God has in store for us in the new heaven and new earth is inconceivable. Thanks for the reminder of the hope we have in Him!

Unknown said...

Amen! Your picture is truly a tribute to our maker. His masterpieces are endless just like His love. I agree with you that television can bring into our homes and lives an unsavory perspective. I would rather focus on Him than what is going on.

JKW said...

One of my favorite songs. I started a book about tv, children's books and other media manipulations. Then 9-1-1 and I found out what manipulation really is and stopped. . . I found out too much information and it was very scary. It's the 'letting go' and letting God lead that's the kicker. . . but if you do . . It's a Wonderful World :) Blessings, Janet

Yolanda said...

Steve, your pictures of the Columbia Gorge makes me homesick. I have been lucky enough to live in the NW for the past (almost) 5 years now. I am away from my beautiful land for a little while, but I have come to be a changed person living here, spending countless hours on foot exploring its grandeur and wonder. I live a simpler life now, knowing what I know, what I've seen, and realizing that nothing else much matters in life than His creation, and what we take from it. Thank you for sharing the beautiful photos of Mt. Hood today and the Gorge.

Amy_Fire said...

I love that song. I agree with you wholeheartedly. I am glad that you share your little piece of beauty through your amazing photo's.

Anonymous said...

Pneuma.
Thank you so much for the reminder.

dominique eichi said...

great post. God bless you
He is a Good God.

Unknown said...

I love that song! It was my theme song at my graduation a few years ago. (a few... wow... lol)

While I don't necessarily believe everything that you believe, I have to agree with you on the fact that it is a very beautiful and wonderful world that we live in.

"With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams,
It is still a beautiful world."
(~Desiderata)

NikonSniper said...

deb,
that must be as in "pneumatology".
nikonsniper steve

Anonymous said...

Nikonsniper Steve,

You said, "I also worship the creator God who breathed these things into being."
So... Yep, "pneumatology" - in every aspect!

I can't tell you how your photos "breathe" revelations of God to all who view them. What a gift you have.
Blessings!!!
Deb

Marcie said...

Balance is tricky!

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful post! Congratulations on the new granddaughter.

Flutterby said...

Thank you for lifting me higher. Have a beautiful and blessed day.

Yffar'sWorld said...

WOW! congratulations on your new grandchild! :-) Time to change what's on your profile then - "Grand(Poppy) to another 5" (that is if you haven't changed it yet. i'm not sure if it was 4 or 5 that was originally in there).

Thanks for sharing your wonderful thoughts sir. I must say I am inspired once more. May God continue to bless you and your family, especially Javey Elizabeth! :-)

Elaine said...

Congratulations on your new little granddaughter! It is indeed a wonderful life and when you see such a precious miracle it's impossible to doubt it. Blessings to you and your family and have a happy Christmas.

Carol said...

Amen.

And congrats to all --she is one very lovely child.

dj trish said...

Wow The Lord has blassed you with the gift of photography skills and great words of faith.
Trish

Christmas-etc... said...

Hi again!
Absolutely!!!
And congratulations on the newest member of your family!!
Blessings!
Ann