Tuesday, September 15, 2009

SF Bay Area Trip Update



Here's the update. I will be heading west in 14 hours. I have a very early departure tomorrow and will fly to Sacramento via Dallas to pickup where I left off in my travels in August.
Everything is booked, bags are just waiting to be closed and open to add the last minute stuff that I almost always forget.

I will be covering the entire San Francisco Bay Area and more of Northern California on this trip departing September 16 and returning to Chicago on October 7. This trip will be very intense as there are many customers to visit in a 3 week period. See the approximate travel map above.

I will get back from this trip for 1 night and will get away for a bit of vacation to Albuquerque for the Balloon Fiesta and the Grand Canyon. This is a trip I have always wanted to take and I am really looking forward to these uniquely American photographic opportunities.

I really appreciate your comments when I am on the road especially. You give me much to read when I am away and your ideas often spark new adventures and sidetrips along the way. You will never really know how much that helps pass the time on these longer treks.

So, fasten your seat belts ... and get ready for another trip to California. I always look for things that I have never seen or photographed before ... and it's really cool being totally clueless as to the new opportunities that can jump out in front of you to the sound of the blarring horns behind you.

My weekend plans at the moment are going to put me near Merced, CA so I think I will try to go to Yosemite. The following two weekends will be in the San Francisco Bay area. I gotta get to Alcatraz and the Golden Gate Bridge ... and the Fish Market ... and uh, stay tuned!

NikonSniper Steve

18 comments:

Betty Manousos said...

Have a wonderful and enjoyful vacation! And please take a lot of shots! Thank you so much for following. I appreciate it so much:)

Little Ms Blogger said...

In 3 weeks you're going to visit all those places - are you planning on sleeping?

Rose said...

I am so jealous...lol. I always wanted to see the Balloon Fiesta. I love the Albuquerque area although its been years since I was there and the Grand Canyon just cannot be described and photos no matter how wonderful don't do it justice. That doesn't mean I don't appreciate the photos, it's just nothing compares to the beauty of that place. I am really looking forward to seeing it all through your lens! Have a safe and wonderful trip!

Pat said...

We'll be in Albuquerque from 10/5-10/10. Maybe we can meet for a few minutes at the fiesta. My e-mail is listed on my profile page if you are interested.

Unknown said...

May God keep you and bless you on your journey my friend. Amen

Skoots1moM said...

you'll get some great shots @ the Balloon Fiesta...love me some balloons. Enjoy SF Bay...love the chowder bowls there :)

Oklahoma Granny said...

I can't wait to see your vacation photos - especially ones of the wonderful balloons!

Pam @ Frippery said...

Looks like a fabulous trip. Photo ops galore too! Have a wonderful time.

Sean said...

Some advice: The best time to beon the freeways is between 10 and 2. If you are going from the West Bay to the East Bay - avoid the 24 tunnel except between 8 PM and 4 AM. (There are three tunnels. The center one switches between directions and so there is always serious congestion.) Highway 680 south from Sunol to San Jose has a lot of construction on it - give yourself plenty of time.
There is still a lot of smoke in the South Bay due to the recent and still on going fires.
Muir Beach is easier to get to than Stinson.
Be sure to double check park hours. Our Governator has been closing parks early or completerly as the budget crisis needs money.
Some of the best pictures in SF are off the beaten path (get a map and know it well).
BART is a great way to get around and is pretty reliable. SF city busses are probably the least reliable thing.

Enjoy your trip.

Valerie said...

Have a wonderful time, it's a trip I would love to make. I know you'll make the most of the photographic opportunities.

Sylvia said...

Have you ever been to Portugal? Give it a try; You'll fall in love with it for sure! All the best to you.

GYPSYWOMAN said...

ok, i cannot even TELL you how jealous i am!!! although, am very very happy for you!!! have a wonderful time - oh, and did i tell you how jealous i am?!!

peace - jenean

and thanks ever so much for following along over here!

Martha Z said...

Enjoy your sojourn in my part of the world, the weather is supposed to be cooling off (of course, we are leaving, it alway cools off when we go away!)
I think prints for future generations is a wonderful way to gain immortality. I am currently going in through some of my dad's prints (former student of Todd Seminary for boys in Woodstock) to have framed for his grandchildren.

NikonSniper said...

sylvia,
i have never been to portugal. i have heard portugal is absolutely beautiful. just never had reason yet. i feel in love with australia and would spend years chasing it's offroad wonders. i just can't live enough life times. YET!
nikonsniper steve

NikonSniper said...

Sean,
Thanks very much for those suggestions.
All the best.
nikonsniper steve

Joanna Jenkins said...

I can't wait to see the pictures. Safe travels and enjoy!

Gloria said...

Have a wonderful trip. Am looking forward to all the treasures I'm sure you'll be posting upon your return!

Buen viaje!

Don and Krise said...

Have a safe trip Steve. Have a lot of fun and if you have time get a little work done too. ;-)
I can't wait to see what you find for us.