Friday, March 16, 2012

OK. The Truth. This Is How I Cheated!



Over the years I have posted a closeup photos of an Eastern Bluebird family on which many commented favorably. Bluebirds are not easy to photograph and I want you to know that I don't have Bluebirds landing on my shoulder to eat from my hand. In fact I am usually about 100 yards away when I shoot those photos remotely with a trigger switch and a pair of binoculars.

I simply set up a tripod about 10 feet from the box and walk back up a hill to the car. I had watched the birds for hours and learned that they always landed on top of the box to scout for trouble before they fed their young in the box. So, I watched through binoculars to see the birds and I rigged a remotel fire switch to the top of my binoculars so I could still feel like I was taking the pictures in between sipping cups of coffee and listening to the radio. The remote switch allowed me to focus and fire. That's all.

Sassy huh?

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know what that's like, but the point is, you got the pictures, right?

Check out these pics of blue birds I got this fall:
http://averyandphotography.blogspot.com/2009/10/birds-of-fall.html
I stood at my back door, with full zoom, and managed to get them.

Very cool
~Avery

Unknown said...

Very innovative way of taking hard to capture picture. Good job.

nanny said...

Very, very clever!!!! Thanks for sharing!

Kat said...

I hardly think that's cheating! You got the shot. We had a good friend (rest in peace Max) who took some amazing photos in Africa. And somehow I doubt that he was terribly close when he got the shot of the cheetah yawning! Kathy

Lorilee said...

Very innovative! You gotta do what you gotta do to get the shot!
Blessings,
Lorilee

Poetic Artist said...

Clever and you have patience too.

Kym said...

What an awesome opportunity to be able to take images of those beautiful birds!

Helen said...

You sure put a lot of work into it. I have a remote for my camera but have never tried to use it. Maybe I should try doing what you did. I don't have any good binoculars though.
Helen

Scott Law said...

I'm so glad your system worked for you. It's very nice that you actuate your camera from that distance. Thanks for sharing.

Scott

BB said...

That's 'cheating' how? Being clever, I reckon! I too have a remote cable I never use... hmmmm.
Thanks!
:-)
BB

Don and Krise said...

Excellent! That's the life of a sniper now isn't it?

Kirigalpoththa said...

That is not cheating..That is smart work :)

Elaine said...

Nope, not cheating! I have a remote for my camera, but haven't used it in a while. I have a severe lack of patience.....

jordiegirl said...

Great idea Steve. Love all your pics.

Suburban Girl said...

Great idea!

Unknown said...

You're a sassy one alright! ;o) And smart and resourceful... of course we expect nothing less by now. LOL

Thanks for sharing your ideas with us!

Unknown said...

Now we know why you're named Sniper! That's using your head along with technology. :) Gorgeous photo, BTW!