Sunday, August 16, 2009

Travel Update

Well, folks ... this trip is at the half way point. I have driven approxiately 1400 miles in Northern California. I have seen incredible rugged beauty here. In an hour or so I will be heading for Reno, Nevada. I will take a drive around Lake Taho on the way. This coming week I will be heading out towards Elko, NV before returning to Sacramento for the flight home. So there are still many miles ahead of me. It has been hot ... but I gotta tell ya ... 96 out here ain't that hot! If you don't believe me ... come visit Northern Illinois when it's 84 and humid. Many people must think I am crazy out here walking along the roads with my camera in full sun. It really feels nice to me.

Oh, I know ... it's that dry heat!

I had another really cool opportunity while rushing to the McArthur-Burney Falls. Remember that TV show CHiPs? Well, I gotta to meet one of them personally! Is that cool or what? Very nice officer that turned on the lights for me and everything! Gave me a souvenir proving our meeting together. Me being me ... you know I asked if I could get a quick photo of just the two of us by the squad car. I even asked if I could sit in the back for a quick snap. Well, ya can't get everything ... but she did give me some tips on driving if I did not want the souvenirs on next time I saw an adjunct member of the CHiPs cast.

Note: If you don't know ... CHiPs is what they call the California Highway Patrol.

16 comments:

Lucy said...

That is just great that you can travel as you have and take pictures all along the way.. Great pictures.

Sunny said...

I understand what you mean about the heat. The summer I was in Idaho it was over 100 degrees but it was so different than the heavy, humid air we get in the east. A lot of people thought I was nuts because I enjoyed being outside!
A safe journey to you.
Sunny :)

Keetha Broyles said...

I always LOVE it when you break down and actually write words!!!

ShEiLa said...

I remember the tv series... but you are talking about the real dudes not tvland. Darn. No photos either... :( Crap!

Were you photographing while driving? Bloggers are known for that. WE are also know for taking photos of the food at lunch dates if it especially pretty.

It's too bad you couldn't have said NO to that souvenir.

ToOdLeS.

Valerie 007 said...

A comedian too- your talents are many!Thanks for the chuckle.

Silvia said...

Well, my friend, that's the dream of a lifetime. Have a nice journey. I hope it gets fresher!

Brian Miller said...

yeah, those souveniers add up pretty quickly...lol on asking for the pic from the back seat...luckily she did not oblige and them click the locks...

Ronda Laveen said...

Ahhh, I see you met our traveling souvenir team. The CHiPies are know for congregating at certain spots. That area is one. Watch out around Susanvill, Reno, Red Bluff, Williams.

Would loved to have seen you posing with one of the officers.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

What a story...and of course you need photos to tell your story! Take care...and slow down! You might miss something!

NikonSniper said...

keetha ... i want photos to dominate this blog. i think it's the best use of my time. when i do write ... i usually am cracking up about something. there are really only a few things in life that i speak seriously about.
nikonsniper steve

NikonSniper said...

sheila,
i thought it was funny i couldn't use my cellphone while driving in california. it's the law and i am not one to break the law ... but i always take pictures while driving. i don't recommend anyone else on the planet does this ... i feel that i am the only one really qualified to do this. ha! i wonder if you can get a ticket for using the camera portion of your cellphone while driving in california?
nikonsniper steve

NikonSniper said...

rhonda,
bingo. it was susanville.
nikonsniper steve

Elaine said...

When you travel, it's nice to get a full experience of a place, and what better way than to run into one of the local speed traps. You're just lucky she didn't give you another ticket for trying to talk her into a photo. Some of these officers just have no sense of humor at all.

I'm sitting here trying to visualize you driving down the road snapping pictures. There's been several of your shots where I wondered about your location. Bet you were behind the wheel when you saw those new big lenses of yours going down the road, and oh, those tunnel shots!

Bert E. Spoor-de Rave said...

I wouldn't mind if you extend your trip to continue making photo's..

Linda Reeder said...

I hope the little souvenier didn't cost you too much. There's just no escaping those speed traps!

Eve said...

I could lend you my motorcycle Stephen...then you could out run Mr. CHiPs!
Great photos, all of them!