Friday, July 24, 2009

Feel A Bit Like Dorothy

On Saturday, I will be heading back to the flatlands of Illinois. Illinois does not have the variation in terrain that is in the Pacific Northwest ... but still I am looking forward to getting home. Truly, Dorothy said it best ... "There's no place like home." I miss my wife, kids and grandkids and well, ... I haven't told the dog to shut up in almost two weeks. That alone is going to feel great!

I am sure most of you feel drawn to some area of the world. That's home for you. Well, I am heading back to the quirky little town of Woodstock, IL. Many of you have seen Woodstock but do not realize it. Woodstock was used in the filming of the Bill Murray movie "Groundhog Day". That is where home is for me. And, yes! The people are as weird as depicted in the movie.

Washington and Oregon have been a great adventure for the 4+ weeks I have spent in your mountains, rivers, desert fields, ocean fronts, forests and cities. My eyes have been opened. I always envisioned the beauty from photos I had seen before I came ... but there are many wonders that were a complete surprise. This has been a great experience. Many of the recent followers that have joined us are from Washington and Oregon. I thank you for all of your suggestions of what to visit along the way. I have driven 5500 miles of your roads on these two trips. In the words of the Terminator ... "I'll be Bach".

I hope you will continue to look in on NikonSniper as I continue shooting from Illinois. My next trip has been scheduled. I will be returning to Northern California and Northern Nevada from August 9 to August 21.

Thanks for all your support.
NikonSniper Steve

10 comments:

Cheryl said...

So very glad that you "showed up" on my blog, I have been treated to so many beautiful sites that I probably will never experience myself. Thank you for sharing.

Janine said...

So that is woodstock!
I love that movie, and I suppose it is pleasent to live there.
Thank you for showing all that beautiful photos of your great country
Greatings from Germany
Janine

Sunny said...

Your pictures of Oregon and Washington have been delightful. It brought back memories of my visits there. I look forward to seeing Illinois through your lense.
Sunny :)

Elaine said...

I've really enjoyed your series of photos through Washington and Oregon. I lived in both places when I was younger, and also Northern California where you're headed next, up near the Oregon border. Hopefully you'll get to see the redwoods while you are there, and I would recommend Hearst Castle if you are near. Lots of other wonderful views to see too.

Gigi Ann said...

I don't know why, but one day you visited my blog and left a comment and I want to thank you, otherwise, I would have missed many, many wonderful pictures of this country. Keep posting and I will keep looking. I live in Iowa, a neighboring state to Illinois.

Ananda girl said...

I'm so glad that you could come and give us your take on our area of the world. Its always a blessing to see things through different eyes, Stephen... you have done a fantastic job. I've enjoyed seeing these very much.

I would not miss looking at your further adventures for the world. God's speed, sir.

NikonSniper said...

elaine,
i just looked for hearst castle and found it. i will keep it in mind for when i am down that direction but that is further south than i will be in california for a few more trips.
nikonsniper steve

Lydia said...

I've loved seeing Oregon through your eyes. I love it here and you've really done the beauty justice. Of course I'll stick with you, especially since I now know the fun facts about your town!
I moved to Oregon in 1976 from my hometown of Reno....now I wonder if plan on including it in your next trip. I'll be there for a high school reunion on Aug. 14-15...if I recognize you somewhere from your picture I'll say hi!

NikonSniper said...

lydia,
i will be in reno the 11-12 but i will be gone before you get there to northern california. at least thats the way it is right now. i will post a map of the route as soon as its finalized.
take care,
nikonsniper steve

Rose Marie Raccioppi said...

I have hopped onto your travels. It has been a virtual trip of complete delight. For all you have taken in, captured and posted...CHEERS!!