Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Is God Green?

Hello, NikonSniper followers. Well, my trip to the Los Angeles area is coming to a conclusion. That's right, dear ... I'm coming home!
One of the things I do for comfort when I am alone and away from my family for great lengths of time is to listen to sermons online. I know, I can almost hear you shouting "BORING"! OK, OK, some of you are about to quit NikonSniper for good! You've heard enough. I have just proved to you that I am completely looney!
Well, some of you know I was a bit of a creative kid. I was A.D.D. before being A.D.D. was cool! So I was, ... let's say, a bit of a handfull. For those of you who are new, here's a little Background to give you an idea of what kind of rodeo clown I was when I was a kid. Anyway, I tell you this so you don't go around thinking I have my head in the clouds with no clue of the real world.
Anyway. I was raised in a Christian home. More than that, ... my father was the pastor of a large church that we attended (sometimes in handcuffs). Oh, please don't cast me as some kind of religious fanatic. In fact, truth is ... I don't believe in religion whatsoever. I believe in a person and YES I know Him. And that God-man is Jesus.
Anyway, ... I don't want to scare you off ... because I DO completely respect your views. Here's what I wanted to say.
I find that as I age (get more older and more wrinkled-er) I appreciate nature more. If you would have told me when I was 30 that I would enjoy photographing butterflies one day ... well, I woulda told you that you were a complete ding-dong (probably not those words though). I so often feel at peace when I am sitting on a bench watching God's wonders. Like seeing wild deer up close just staring at you, giving you a close look, like they were sent to you. Well, I recently watched a sermon about the Christian in nature that I enjoyed called, "Is God Green?" You can hit the link and watch it if you like. It's good! It is by one of my favorite speakers named John Ortberg from Menlo Park Presbyterian Church in Menlo Park, CA. He won't bore you!
Go on, give it a listen ... I dare ya ... it's a risk free way to tell your mom that you went to church. Pastor Ortberg speaks on how we are to respect the world of the Creator.
I hardly ever lift my camera in the mountains, or near rivers, streams or great oceans without thinking about ... How Great Is Our God!
I hope you have a wonderful day!
NikonSniper Steve

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting to read about your life.....I will stay :)

Katherine said...

I get what your saying about enjoying what nature has on offer the more we mature in age.

It is like you have an awakening of spirit, a new found connection with the earth.

I think when we were younger, there was very little contemplation about the future because our lives were full of never ending tomorrows.

Life had not yet thrown us many curved balls, so appreciation for things like nature were not foremost in our minds.

We were more interested in the opposite sex, concreting ourselves in our careers, getting married, having children etc etc

God has given us such a gorgeous play ground & I, like you, am enjoying so much at the age of 41.

I love your photos and I have never had the opportunity to travel as yet, so I enjoy seeing through your eyes (your lens) the beauty you have on the other side of this earth.

Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Thats really nice, and a nice tribute to God..yes hes green, and red, and violet and orange...and

Anonymous said...

It's difficult to look at the creation without pondering a Creator. I've seen that deer (that was sent just for me), I've experienced the sound of the pine trees whispering in the mountains, I've dipped my toes into the warm, frothy waters filled with life ... And from the small yellowish-green shoot of a crocus popping out from under the heavy snow to the eagle soaring up above - How Great Is Our God!
Looking forward to checking out Ortberg's link. Thanks for sharing.

Rose said...

Praise God!Isn't it wonderful, all that God has for you to photograph.

Richard said...

You are I have about the same philosophy about religion. You could substitute Grandmother where you said Father in your early life and we have a similiar upbringing.

I always felt that when I was one-on-one with nature, I was also one-on-one with God. Nobody could tell me how I interpreted or saw things was wrong or not the way I should be looking at things. It was just me and God have a personal conversation.

Oklahoma Granny said...

I'm looking forward to watching the video. Thanks for posting the link. Blessings to you today.

Cindy Beck, author said...

Very nice thoughts and a good break in my busy morning.

Yes, when behind the lens of a camera you can't help but recognize God's handiwork. :)

Thanks for sharing.

Dawning Inspiration said...

I, too, can't help but think of God when I look at the beauty He created in nature.

dominique eichi said...

Beauty the way it is can only have an awesome designer/creator. I am so thankful.
Thanks for sharing your eyes with us.

NikonSniper said...

katherine,
i think i would have been amused with many things i see now when i was younger. but the speed i traveled did not ever allow me to see the detail or to see the hand of God in them. i think God uses aging to give us a time to rethink what we did and to ponder the big questions of this life, the who am i, why am i here and where am i going?
i agree with your words.
nikonsniper steve