Saturday, October 16, 2010

Growing Up

Maybe, ... I am really growing up now. Oh, I'm not really betting on it yet.
I'm nearly 52. I still behave like a teenager with access to a bank account, credit cards and wheels just waiting to take me anywhere I feel like going. Gosh, I love my wife! She still let's me go out to play. I have five kids ... uh, she has six.
I really do live a willy nilly existence and I think it helps me feel a bit younger. Well, ... I just had one of those weekends that was a bit like taking a tour with the ghost of Christmas Past. Where did the years go?
I saw the last of our five children graduate high school and had another daughter leave for Army combat basic training on the same weekend. It was a bit over-whelming. Emotional ping pong. That's the kind of day that make ya feel a little older. OK, I will admit I have a few gray hairs now ... mixed in with the ones that are completely white. I feel tired quicker than I used to. Naps have become great entertainment between acting retarded for my 5 grandkids. I have pills for everything. Wrinkles! Yes, and now ... I have discovered I even have smaller wrinkles in my wrinkles.
I don't ride the rides at amusement parks anymore. I'd rather photograph them from the parking lot than feel weird. I mean weird like ... Is that a heart attack or just gas? I am the idiot that was rushed to emergency with chest pains after eating 2 bags of salsa flavored sunflower seeds. Get off my back ... they were good. I coulda ate three bags.
I listen to music louder than ever because my wife swears I can't hear anything she says. I have been told that my favorite word is "Huh". Q-tips are now as important as soap. It isn't that I don't want to hear ... I just can't. Honey can you fix the washing machine? Huh?
Not only could my boys kick and enjoy kicking my butt ... but this has now also become true of my daughters. I ache! I used to be able to throw a football 53-55 yards (not that long ago). Now, I just own a football. Warming up is critical before I warm up. I wear snow gear to football games in October just to keep my blood flowing.
My kids, usually led by Braff Zackton mock me openly because they know I won't waste the energy to get up and challenge them. I have to remind people that I used to be more active and that I had a pulse that was easy to find. I wonder sometimes if I should just get my name and address tattooed to me so that they know where to take me when I wander off aimlessly.
But am I really growing up? Nope! In fact, I really wonder how many of you feel like your growing up versus just getting a higher number attached to your age. I think I want to continue feeling young by doing stupid things right up to the end. I hope I can do some really embarrassing things for my kids to have to witness. That would be awesome! I might even be able to fake it for a few years just to get them back. "Mom, Dad wet his pants again!"
It's one thing to remember having a foolish period of time in your life ... but I might just prefer being stupid forever.
Yeah, that's me!
NikonSniper Steve

20 comments:

Karen~The Barely There Primitive Bear said...

Just go by what your brain says,
not your body, and you will be
younger, longer! Never admit
you are getting old, that is
what I am told...I am all for
being a little crazy, life is
too short to be serious all
the time! Thanks, you made
me laugh!

Karen

Pat Winter Gatherings said...

I certainly can relate to this post. I'm approaching 51 but feel 18 or 20 still. Of course that feeling is mostly in my mind and heart, aches and pains are becoming more frequent after doing quite simple tasks however I will continue on and enjoy life as the numbers add up. I think we are happier living as we do and forget the numbers. Just thank the stars for getting to celebrate each birthday I say! Have a good one.Keep those wonderful pictures coming.
Smiles,Pat

Laura~Pretty Pix said...

I know I'll never grow up. My goal in life is to be a flibbertigibbet and I'm succeeding beautifully. I love life and adventure. I feel and act decades younger than I am, and always will.
I just turned 60!
Interesting post, Steve.

Valerie 007 said...

You are only as old as you feel and not in your bones, but in your heart. I think you are a fine young man. Keep enjoying all that life has to offer, the way you do, and you'll never grow old.

Extreme Teen said...

haha i loved reading this! you have great style in writing... and im with you all the way on staying young by staying stupid. (although i have a ways to go still) :) †

kbear said...

lmao..only because this sounds like me too. I'm pushing 52 as well. I'd rather stay young as long as forever although my body is slowing down a bit. here's to staying young!!!!

Anonymous said...

Well since I'm just slightly older than you (I'm currently 52), like you, I just realized with shock that people expect my husband and me to be the grown ups around here.
Nope... regardless of what 'people' say or think, and regardless of my body saying otherwise - I'm not ready to grow up yet either. I keep telling everyone that 52 is the new 25! **ahem**
Loved your story and I definitely can identify with it!
Blessings,
Deb

becky said...

The stress of being a grown up sucks sometimes... bills, responsibility, worrying about the non- existent retirement account. taking care of EVERYTHING! I try to be a kid whenever possible...
:)

Flutterby said...

Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional. I like the idea that my 52 could be 25 instead. My grandkids enjoy blowing bubbles and playing with grandma. I love your post.

Argent said...

I never want to grow up (I'm 48). In my head, I'm still a kid - I just know more stuff now that's all.

Alice said...

Embarassing your kids . . .
My younger brother was always the "anal" one.
Our Dad used to wear those house shoes that (actually did) look like loafers, and sometimes would forget and wear them to church. It embarassed my brother, no end. Lil Bro said he would get Dad some bunny slippers so he would stop doing that. The rest of us all knew Dad would wear them anyways!
Once Lil Bro became a Lutheran Minister, Big Bro and myself tried to find bunny slippers for our Dad so he could show up at Lil Bro's church in them. Never did find a pair, and Dad was so unsteady, it would not have been a good idea anyway.
Lil Bro never knew until I spoke of it at Big Bro's memorial service.
Lil Bro does a very popular sermon series now,called "the Dad", in a recliner, bathrobe, and "puppy" slippers . . . the church also digitally records and they are available on line.

You never know.

Lenora Regan - ShootingWithSlinky.blogspot.com said...

Growing up is optional, YES I agree with that. So let's all stay young at heart and enjoy the ride!! Great post.

CTG Ponies said...

What a great post!

Bogaman said...

The cyber world has access to your humor. You should seriously consider writing a book sometime so the rest of the world can enjoy your photography and humor. X.

ShEiLa said...

Amen!

I so relate to everything in this post... and my dear hubby is suffering with these same thoughts and because getting older is bugging him so much... its starting to affect me. I sincerely think that he wishes to wake up one morning and be a teenager again.

ToOdLeS.

ps. I don't leave comments as often as I used to... I even fell off the blogworld for awhile... but gradually I am getting my routine back... and I still love and appreciate your talent and photography skills.

Jeni said...

Oh yes! I can relate to this oh, so well! I'm 65 now and have the aches, pains -even battle scars here and there to prove I've been through a lot of things but I still tend to wake up in the mornings with ideas that sound great to me -in my mind -until I am silly enough to attempt some of them and those stiff, achy joints remind me I'm no longer a kid in body, just in heart and mind. I still haven't fully figured out what I want to be when/if I ever grow up but nowadays, I think what I really want to be is what I am now -a Grandma! Does that make me grown up now? Not sure but I like the thought that this status maybe does fulfill that what I wanna be thing. Or at least it comes closer to it than anything I've come across before now.
Peace.

Susan said...

HA HA HA!! What a fun read! I swear - that was like reading one of my journal pages! It appears we share very similar thoughts - and sense of humor! I'm about 5 years younger than you, but I'm still an expert tree climber and only recently started getting whooped by my boys in raquetball! I'm also quite sure that you are exaggerating about your state of being!

I'm still waiting for you to come North and photograph Glacier National Park and the amazing Flathead valley area. Please let me know when you do! :)

God Bless,
Susan

p.s. If you didn't see it, here's a post where you were mentioned:
http://thereliantself.blogspot.com/2010/05/beautiful-montana-weather.html
And here's another of possible interest:
http://thereliantself.blogspot.com/2010/05/photos-of-flathead.html

Anonymous said...

What's the problem about age?
Who tells you not to be/do all the things you like as an grown up??
I am 56, still making lots of fun, but still a kid, no way ;-)

Becca said...

LOL, I still feel 18 inside but when I fall off my horse it hurts more than I remember...I'm not sure when that changed!

Ella said...

Oh yeah~ I am rounding the corner a couple of years behind ya. My mind cannot come to grips with why my body is not cooperating ! LOL. It is more of an effort now, but I figure.....it's worth it !
Blessings, Ella