Friday, November 18, 2011

Photographing DNA In Steps


Step 4


Step 3


Step 2


Step 1

OK, I will try to tell you in steps how I did this piece of photographic art from the bottom photo working up. It really is rather simple. It's just a bit harder to explain but I'll give it a whirl.

Step 1 (bottom photo) - Take a good "lousey" photo. This is the easiest part of the project for me to complete. I have found that if I start by doing something crazy ... it usually has cool results. This is why I totally love hanging around with young photographers that didn't learn a bunch of rules. Their ideas are WHACK ... and they end up with really cool stuff with a bit of practice. Tip ... if you are bored with your photography take a class ... see what others are doing. A fresh look is always a motivator for me.
I usually know I am gonna get schooled in new thinking when I am hanging around with photographers that say ... "Seriously they used to only have film cameras? What's film? Did you put it inside the camera? Wow, that's crazy!"
The Step 1 photo looks like junk but it is intentional. For this photo I am shaking my camera barrel all over the place while exposing the sensor for 1/3 of a second in Shutter Priority at ISO200 (or Tv Time Variable Mode if you own a Canon). I know it's hard to tell but it's a photograph of a hotel chandelier. I was bored sitting in the lobby while waiting for my taxi to the LAX airport so I was just goofing around firing at everything under the sun.

Step 2- Take the original photo and push the contrast up. You may find it helpful to sharpen the photo to remove a bit of blur if you try this shaking photo idea.

Step 3- Turn the Step 2 Photo into a negative.

Step 4- Use photoshop elements program to spill additional colors into the photo to make it a bit more interesting. Granted Step 4 takes practice but I did all of this in about 10 minutes. (probably 9 minutes was spent doing Step 4 only). Hope this helps. Practice. Take any photo and try to do the first 3 steps if you don't have a photoshop type program.

Good luck!
NikonSniper Steve

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, thats looking great. Is this realy picture of DNA or is this a painting?
It's art, anyway!
Ulrike

Dar said...

I am so glad to have found your site. I just listened to Is God Green? with John Ortberg on your dare. It was wonderful and so full of scripture. It has been a long time since I have allowed myself 'time' to 'listen' again., and I have you to thank and God, our Creator. God IS Green

You photograph with such passion. I will be one of your followers amongst the thousands.

Have a Blessed Memorable Day

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

I love the colors, make me feel alive! Just like DNA! LOL

Have a wonderfully blessed day ya'll!!!

Paul C said...

I really like the modernistic qualities of this picture.

NikonSniper said...

freude am sein,
i hope the explanation helps a bit.
nikonsniper steve

NikonSniper said...

dar,
i enjoyed that one. john ortberg is always very easy to hear.
nikonsniper steve

Judy said...

So God taught you early to take a mess and make it beautiful anyway. :-)

NikonSniper said...

judy,
thanks for that simple encouragement and reminder. my mom reads this blog and she has mentioned you to me. she told me that she thanks God for the judys in my life. you made an impression.
you have the gift to encourage. do it all the more every where you go!
nikonsniper steve

Judy said...

I'm honored your mom noticed, more than I can say. It means a lot to me. In one of my other blogs, I explored what I wanted in life. All I wanted to be when I grew up was a wife and mother. It didn't work out. I felt so lost. The past few months, I did some soul searching. I had to find something to be that didn't rely on anyone else's decisions. I'm a writer, but it's what I do. God led me along to the answer: I want to be a blessing. I'm so grateful every day I'm able to accomplish it. I'll be copying your comment for the days I don't feel like a blessing.